Search Postgresql Archives

Re: automating backups with windows scheduled tasks and pg_dumpall

SCassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
One other oddity I ran into recently on one system only, is that a perl program (.pl extension) worked fine from the command-line, double-clicked on, etc. but in the scheduled job, I had to put "perl xxx.pl" for it to work. Maybe if all else fails, try "cmd.exe xxx.bat" or "command.com xxx.bat" or similar in the scheduled task?
Thanks for your reply.

I just got this running right before I read this email. A shame, because this tip precisely would have helped me. Turns out that on the command line you can just type foobar.bat, but in scheduled tasks, you must place a cmd.exe /c before it, instructing windows to spawn a shell first (why windows isn't intelligent enough to figure this out on it's own, I have no idea). Anyway if anybody else is curious I didn't change anything in the batch file I posted previously, but I changed the scheduled task command from "c:\foo\bar\pg_backup.bag" to "cmd.exe /c c:\foo\bar\pg_backup.bat".

Hope this can help somebody else avoid the hours of confusion.

On a side note, you seem to have a pretty strange email client setup, because your text came through extremely small (almost unreadable) to me, yet your signature came out just fine. Odd...
Susan Cassidy