Search Postgresql Archives

Re: reserving space in a rec for future update

On Nov 14, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Mike Charnoky wrote:

In this usage scenario, doesn't the new HOT (heap only tuples) feature
of PG8.3 help, in terms of the DB requiring less VACUUM maintenance?

I am similarly performing a huge number of inserts, followed by a huge
number of updates to fill in a few null fields. The data is indexed by insert time. My problem is, selects using that index degrade over time
as updates are performed, presumably because data is no longer ordered
sequentially across pages after updates are performed.  I was hoping
that HOT would help here and am actually installing PG8.3 now in order
to perform some testing...

Mike

Some, what HOT does is keeps index rows from being updated when updates are made to column values that aren't indexed. The same insert/delete still happens in the table data.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888