Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Mark Niedzielski wrote:

The Macs perform common and complex Postgres operations in about half the time of our unloaded production hardware.

Are they write intensive? If so, it may be possible that the Macs are buffering disk writes while production server isn't. It's often the case that desktop systems will cheat at writes while servers don't.

Is there a trick to making AMDs perform?

One problem you can run into is that the default configuration on some Linux+AMD systems will include aggressive power management that throttles the CPU clock down. Take a look at /proc/cpuinfo on your server and see what the "cpu MHz" reads; if it's 1000.00 or otherwise doesn't match what you expect, you may need to turn off or otherwise tune power management to keep the system running at full speed. My home AMD dual-core system was positively sluggish until I fixed that.

Does Linux suck compared to BSD?

Not the Mac OS BSD. Last time I looked into this OS X was still dramatically slower than Linux on things like process creation.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD