Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dumpall and authentication

Steve Atkins wrote:

On Nov 9, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Tom Hart wrote:

I'm sure you guys have heard this about 100 times, and I've done some research on Google and found out some things, but I still have a couple questions.

As I'm sure you may have guessed from the subject, I'm trying to schedule (under windows) pg_dumpall to run each night/morning/full moon/whatever. The hitch in this is that it asks for a password for each database as it dumps it. I know I can use the PGPASS environment variable, or a ~/.pgpass file. What I'm wondering is what's considered 'best practice' in practical applications. What solutions do you guys use? Is it worth changing PGPASSFILE to point to a different .pgpass?

Any of those approaches should be fine. I'd probably stick with the default pgpass file, just for the sake of whoever may have to maintain it next.

I tend to create a unix user just for doing backups and other scheduled maintenance, then give that user access to the database via ident authentication from the local system only. If PG-on-Windows has equivalent functionality that's another approach to consider.
Ok, here's what I think is going to work best for me. I'm going to create a user with very little access rights, and then I'm going to set up a scheduled task in windows to run pg_dumpall on the machine that houses the db (and where the backup will be stored). On that machine I'll have a pgpass file that I've placed somewhere where only the dummy backup account can access it and pointed to it with the PGPASSFILE environment variable. I think I'll be able to run a scheduled task associated with that name without giving them login abilities.

Sound pretty solid to you guys?

BTW, this isn't protecting a ton of data, but the data itself is pretty sensitive, so security is a concern. I appreciate your help in building as solid a system as I can. BTW2, I already told somebody today that Windows and security is like a cherry pie with gravy on top, but I don't get a choice here, so try to understand :-)

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster