Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What makes a Postgres DBA?

Kevin Hunter wrote:
"what do I need to able to do to be able to honestly say that 'I am a Postgres DBA' on my resume"

Greg Smith wrote:
Organizing things as above, this turns into a somewhat fuzzy question about how much of the grid one has to cover before achieving that goal. Consider this; who will be more effective as a PostgreSQL DBA:
There's understanding the breadth of this field, and there's knowing some depth about each of the topic, and the exact mix of the two varies from person to person. There's so many aspects to this type of work that drawing a line and saying "if you know X, Y, and Z you can consider yourself a Postgres DBA" doesn't make a lot of sense. You mentioned training and certification. Part of the value of going through either of those is that you end up with some baseline idea of what someone who has gone through the class/test has been exposed to.

Rephrase the claim. Since "being a Postgres DBA" is not a binary state, you should honestly say where you fall in the spectrum. Instead of "I'm a PG DBA", one could say, "I have some experience as a PG DBA and I am comfortable with the role." Variations might include, "I have a lot of DBA experience, but somewhat more limited PG-specific knowledge", or, "I've been honing my PG DBA skills, and I have a solid but basic competence", and the like.

Chances are you will be able to make such judgments with much more confidence than claiming to be or not to be a DBA.

--
Lew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq