Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Would an index benefit select ... order by?

You mean Postgres wouldn't *always* use created_at's index with such access patterns on a big table (even if one exists):

select * from foo order by created_at desc;

No, it wouldn't necessarily, and that's a good thing.  A full-table
indexscan can often be slower than a sort because of inefficient disk
access patterns.  The planner will estimate the cost of each possibility
and pick the one that looks cheaper.

What if it's really a limited select:

select * from foo order by created_at desc limit <SCREEN_AT_A_TIME>;

because this is what I meant initially (sorry), would Postgres always use index to get at sorted created_at values, so I don't *have* to create the index? I think maintaining the index has its own penalty so in my upcoming project I'm evaluating the option of skipping defining one entirely unless absolutely necessary.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq