Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Base Backups from PITR Standby

On 30-Oct-07, at 2:42 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
It's safest to shutdown the standby first, take a backup then crank it
up again.

It's possible to do it online in the way you suggest, but only when
running with either full_page_writes = on or when making the backup with
rsync, or another method that uses atomic 8Kb reads
I'm using rsync with the -a flag (equivalent to -rlptgoD)

I can give rsync a block size with the -B flag. According to the rsync man page, "[the blocksize] is normally selected based on the size of each file being updated". Maybe this is all I need to set. I'll give that a try.

. The backup is only
valid if you rollforward past the next restartpoint after the backup
completes
I can ensure this is done.

, which is not technically the right place but definitely far
enough. So its not exactly for the feint-hearted, at the moment.

Thanks for the input Simon, that helps a lot. If I can't get the online backup of the warm standby to work properly, I'll simply keep two warm standby's replaying WALs on the backup server. I'll have one installation continually replaying WALs for failover and a second which can be shut down periodically for taking base backups.

Brian Wipf
<brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend