Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL and AutoCad

Josh Tolley wrote:
On 10/24/07, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there any way of converting text from an AutoCad (.dwg ot .dxf) file into
a PostgreSQL  Database??

Bob Pawley

I know nothing of AutoCad, but your message has been sitting for a
while without response, so I'll throw out the suggestion that you
probably want AutoCad to export the text to some more common format
(like a ASCII or UTF8 file or some such) and import that.

-Josh/eggyknap

I think .dxf is text, its a vector image description (lines, line styles, layers, etc, etc). But being text or not, you can store it into a bytea field no problem.

Bob: Do you just want to store the file as-is in the database? Then yes you can. Or are you looking to break it up into tables so that you can query it somehow? In that case, I'd say not likely (or at least not cheaply).

Do you want AutoCad to edit the drawings right out of the database? How would you want to put them in/get them out, of the database?

-Andy

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster