Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows

Ron Johnson wrote:

Hmmm. Is Paradox that bad?

Yes. I'm also a Delphi developer, who has already converted a paradox program (was just before pg on windows.. bummer)

Paradox is a file share'd database (like dbase), and when the program crashes, it'll hose up your pdox tables too. Especially if they are shared on the network.

You can do pdox apps in two ways, with table operations, or sql.

By table operations I mean:

table.open;
table.IndexName := 'name';
table.findFirst('bob');
table.edit;
table.fieldByName('pay').asInteger := 4;
table.post;

You'd say, why do that when there is sql? Because its not exactly stable. I did code in sql to update some photos, by looking at the code you'd think it would work.. but it didnt. (was a delete statement, then an insert). Sometime it worked, sometimes not. I replaced it with table operations and it always worked.

We ported over to firebird, it is so much more stable now (We used to have to tell people to restore from backup all the time, just cuz pdox is not stable) and is much simpler to maintain the db because we get to fire off sql. Our database upgrade was a huge program that would restructure the database... now its just a little sql script. Its so much nicer.

-Andy