Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Version 8.3

Alexander Staubo schrieb:
On 10/27/07, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I would like to try PostgreSQL 8.3 without uninstalling version 8.1.
Is this possible??

Sure. If you're on Unix, download the source and install it somewhere
in, say, your home directory. This requires a certain familiarity with
the shell, however, but it's fairly straightforward as such things go.
If you're on Windows I believe you will need Microsoft's compiler.

On windows one just has to change the listening port within the binary installer so the 2 servers dont collide later.
The installer puts every version in its own directory by default.
In this case probaply
C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.1
C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.3-beta1

It's more important to mind the directory within the operational releases.
I'm not quite sure if one gets automatically
C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.2
C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.2.1
C:\Programme\PostgreSQL\8.2...

Bob, you just want to watch which client software version you run against which server.
The beta comes with tools like psql, pgAdmin3, pg_dump ...
It might be advised not to rely on the beta's clients when you work with operational data in server 8.2.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster