To: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:45 AM
Subject: Re:  pg_restore

On Sunday 28 October 2007 11:32 am, Bob Pawley wrote:
Please help.

I am attempting to restore a database into PostgreSQL version 8.2 running
on Win XP Professional.

From the 'bin' folder, I am using the command line-
pg_restore psql -h localhost -d PDW -U postgres -f aurel.sql

Try  pg_restore psql -h localhost -d PDW -U postgres  aurel.sql
No -f switch

I get an error -

pg_restore: cannot specify both -d and -f output.

If the error message is correct how does pg_restore know what to put where?

The -d switch tells pg_restore to the named database. The -f switch tells it
to restore to named file. It won't do both.

I used the same command to successfully install the same pg_dump file into
PostgreSQL 8.1 running on the same computer.

Maybe 8.1 ignored the error.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

--
Adrian Klaver