Search Postgresql Archives

Re: TRUNCATE - timing of the return of disk space - caused by long-lived client?

Vince Negri wrote:

> So I tried TRUNCATE on the table. It appeared to work  - in that the
> row count dropped to zero and the connected client was not disrupted,
> and "du" on the postgres data directory showed a fall.
>
> But the available disk space (reported by "df") did not fall.

I think you shouldn't worry about it.  The file will eventually be
closed (maybe after a couple of checkpoints) and the space returned to
the filesystem.

FYI what TRUNCATE does is create a new, separate file for the table and
index storages.  The old one can still be open for a while, but it
should get detached not long after the transaction commits.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq