Search Postgresql Archives

Re: select count() out of memory

On Oct 25, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

tfinneid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
tfinneid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thats good enough for me, thats exactly what I want.

In that case, why use partitions at all? They are simple independent
tables.

For two reasons,
- the data logically belongs together.
- because its more practical to create tables as childs of a parent table
than as independent tables.
   - changes to the table is applied to all partitions, and prohibits
tables with different dd.
- performing the create operation does not require the source code to
contain the ddl of the parent table.

You can use CREATE TABLE LIKE, which copies the definition but does not
set the inheritance.

That won't propogate changes made later.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888