Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Out of memory with ODBC

Relyea, Mike wrote:

After setting log_statement = 'all', I ran my query using pgAdmin, and
then ran the query using Access.  I now had all of the commands sent to
the DB by each application.

Remember, *something* in the sequence of commands that get executed from Access must be different than when you execute them through pgAdmin.

That's exactly what it turned out to be.  I looked at only the SET
statements issued by each application and the differences popped right
out at me.  Turns out that Access was sending "set geqo to 'OFF'" and
pgAdmin wasn't.  As soon as I adjusted that setting in my connection
string the problem went away.  I'm not sure why it was off to begin with
anyway.

Good detective work. I'm a bit puzzled why this would cause out-of-memory problems though.

If you get a chance, could you run an EXPLAIN <query> with geqo=off and we'll see what plan it was comint up with.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend