Search Postgresql Archives

Re: uniquely indexing Celko's nested set model

On Oct 20, 2007, at 21:24 , Richard Broersma Jr wrote:

I've seen ltree mentioned from time to time. Is it true that it works with adjacency list model?

I don't believe so. I think it's path-based, but you can check it out for yourself in contrib/

If the nested set model is chosen, would having a table and index fill factor of 50% be a good idea in this case if periodic updates were expected?

"fill factor" wrt nested set means not using consecutive numbering of the bounds, leaving space for inserted nodes. Table rewrites might be necessary from time to time as inserts fill in the gaps. You could also do nested sets using numeric rather than integer, which gives you a lot more flexibility.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq