Search Postgresql Archives

Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

"Magnus Hagander" <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> How about we just emit a warning..
>>
>> WARNING: Connections above 250 on Windows platforms may have
>> unpredictable results.

> That's probably a better idea. I'll go look at that unless people feel we should just stick it in docd/faq?

Unless we've got some credible basis for citing a particular number,
I don't think this will help much.

Rainer Bauer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> My guess is that Windows is running out of handles. Each backend uses about
> 150 handles. 100 Backends means 15000 handles. Depending how many other
> programs are currently running the no. of startable backends will vary
> depending on the total handle limit Windows imposes.

I find this theory very interesting; for one thing it explains the
reported variability of results, since the non-Postgres demand for
handles could be anything.  Is there any way we could check it?
If it's accurate, what we ought to be whining about is some
combination of max_connections and max_files_per_process, rather
than only considering the former.

			regards, tom lane