Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Abbreviation list

Alban Hertroys schrieb:
Steve Crawford wrote:
My vote is to add "Appendix I. Abbreviations". Don't know if it's
practical for 8.3 documentation but it would be nice to add even if it
only has a few entries as additional ones could be collected via the
user notes.

I suggest as a discussion starting-point the following inclusion criteria:

1. Any abbreviation/acronym that appears in the PostgreSQL documentation
(even if those terms may not be PG specific - we shouldn't assume that
everyone knows them). Good documentation practice recommends defining
abbreviations the first time they are used. Better still, ensure that
they are in the abbreviation list.

Isn't this just what the ABBR tag in html is for?

Well, yes; according w3.org its purpose is to describe the
abbreviation/acronym inline in a document using a title attribute:

<acronym title="Grand Unified Configuration">GUC</acronym>

Firefox by default underlines the abbreviation with a dotted line and
displays the title when leaving the cursor on it. In a way this means
probably defining the abbreviation.

Reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-ABBR

--
Thomas Pundt <thomas.pundt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> ---- http://rp-online.de/ ----