Search Postgresql Archives

Re: downloading and installing postgreSQL

On Oct 17, 2007, at 4:28 PM, Ken Johansson wrote:

On 17/10/2007, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Ken Johansson wrote:
> Im installing the latest software (
> postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.... .) on windows xp but i dont know > what file to click to install - this seems very ambiguous. Can anyone
> help?

You don't mention platform, but Win32 is the only one with a
no-installer binary, so I guess we can assume you are installing on some approved version of Windows. Why did you elect a no-installer version?
The regular version comes with an installer and is very easy to
install.  I see the following note on the download page:

"postgresql-8.2.5-1-binaries-no-installer.zip is a zip of the PostgreSQL
installation directory. It does not include any of the bundled apps or
drivers and is intended for expert users only!"

It's a zip file, you just unzip it where you want it installed.  But
since you don't know what to do with it, I'd suggest you go with
postgresql-8.2.5-1.zip instead.  Unzip in a temporary directory, read
the README file, then double click the MSI file (or just type the name
at a command prompt if you use that.)

Great, thanks.

Is this the appropriate place to ask those types of support questions? Well, any type of support questions?

thanks

Ken

Those "types" yes. Other "types" may have more specific mailing lists (jdbc, sql, etc...). However, none of the Postgres lists are appropriate places for top-posting (I moved your response to the bottom).

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888