Search Postgresql Archives

Re: slow request

On Oct 9, 2007, at 6:34 AM, michael.guiard@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi !
I am using postgreSQL v8.1.5 with latest odbc driver v8.02.0500.
I have very slow request between my server and my client. They are
both on the same switch 100Mb/s. I have no particular network
problems.
I use the pgadmin tool to do my request.

My database is compose of one table. This table has some simple fields
(varchar & int, less than 500 bytes) and its primary key is a
varchar(32) (CLSID). This table has 140000 records.
I know the primary key as a clsid is not the best choice, but it is
mine :)

The request "select * from mytable" on the server takes
approximatively 30 seconds.
The same request on the client takes approximatively 400 seconds !
What I do not understand is that my network traffic during this
request on the client side is very low. It is less than 100KB/s !

Why is it so slow ? I suppose that my 140000 records are retrieve one
by one... is it true ? if yes, why ?

I try to do the same thing with another table with a primary key as
'int4'. The result is the same : 540 secs to retrieve 150000 records
at 45 KB/s (average speed) (132 octets/record * 150000 = 19MB / 45 KB/
s = 430 seconds)

How can I improve these performances ?

This has been reported before, IIRC, and one issue was that pgadmin
spent a lot longer rendering the data than it did retrieving it.

So before you look any further, run the same query from psql and
see if that changes anything.

Cheers,
  Steve

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend