Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Lifting WHERE conditions out of inner select

Tom Lane wrote:

The planner does not look for this type of situation though, and after
some study I think it'd be more trouble than it was worth.  It'd be
less than trivial to determine whether the upper references occurred
only in places where it was safe to pull them up, and the actual pulling
would take some code that doesn't exist now, too,

Okay, good to know. The situation is obviously easy to avoid, I just found the contrast surprising.

Thanks.

- John D. Burger
  MITRE