Search Postgresql Archives

Re: A few basic troubleshooting questions

On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Kevin Kempter wrote:

Hi List;

I have a few basic troubleshooting questions...

1) If I have autovacuum turned on, how do I know which table is being vacuumed when in pg_stat_activity I only see VACUUM?

I've been using this query but it doesn't always work... is there a better way?

CREATE Temp table tmp_p as

SELECT

procpid from pg_stat_activity where current_query = 'VACUUM'

;

SELECT

relname as current_vacuum_activity

from pg_class where oid in

( select relation from pg_locks where pid = any (select procpid from tmp_p) )

;

2) if I see a 'ROLLBACK' in pg_stat_activity, how can I determine what query/update/etc is being rolled back?

For both 1) and 2), pg_stat_activity has more columns than just procpid. Here's a query I use to good effect for monitoring active queries:

SELECT procpid, to_char((now() - query_start), 'DD HH:MI:SS') as query_time, client_addr, current_query
FROM pg_stat_activity
ORDER BY now() - query_start DESC

3) How do I know for sure what processes are are waiting on a specific lock ? for example I have a process that has an ungranted lock on table X. Is there an easy way via pg_locks to determine which processes are waiting on the ungranted lock on table X?

Yes, read the documentation on pg_locks: http://www.postgresql.org/ docs/8.2/interactive/view-pg-locks.html. Note that there pid corresponds to procpid in pg_stat_activity.

4) How do I determine in general if the db has a memory bottleneck vs CPU bottleneck vs I/O bottleneck? I know about pg_statio, just not sure how to guage where the db is the most constrained.

You will need OS tools to handle those metrics. Look into vmstat and ipcs for memory, iostat for I/O, and top for cpu.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888