Search Postgresql Archives

Re: For index bloat: VACUUM ANALYZE vs REINDEX/CLUSTER

On Sep 24, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

I feel your pain. But I seem to have (mostly) solved my problem in three ways:

My particular usage pattern (add data continuously, purge *some* of the data once per week or every other week. The purge is what seems to kill it. Last time I reindexed, I reclaimed over 20Gb of disk space. That was after 6 months from the prior reindex.

Recommending I run vacuum intermixed with the data purge is a non- starter; the vacuum on these tables takes a couple of hours. I'd never finish purging my data with that kind of delay.

Recommending splitting my tables with inheritance is not going to work since my purges don't happen across any lines which would make sense for splitting with inheritance.

I will investigate the fill-factor. That seems like it may make some sense the way I do inserts and updates...

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq