Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Performance Issues

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Christian Schröder wrote:

I think it is my job as db admin to make the database work the way my users need it, and not the user's job to find a solution that fits the database's needs ...

Is there really nothing that I can do?

You can improve the selectivity estimator function.  One idea is that if
you are storing something that's not really a general character string,
develop a specific datatype, with a more precise selectivity estimator.
If you are you up to coding in C, that is.

Hm, that sounds interesting! I will definitely give it a try.
Will that also solve the problem of combining more than one of these conditions? As far as I can see, the main issue at the moment is that we often have "... where test like '11%' and test not like '113%'" in our queries. Even if the selectivity estimation of the single condition will be improved, it will still be wrong to multiply the selectivities.

I think I will have a look at the src/backend/optimizer/util/plancat.c, src/backend/optimizer/path/clausesel.c and src/backend/utils/adt/selfuncs.c files after my holiday.

Kind regards,
   Christian

--
Deriva GmbH                         Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting         Fax:  +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster