Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Locking entire database

A simpler example,
   In the context of one transaction i do many queries of the form
         INSERT INTO table value WHERE value NOT IN TABLE;

If i have 2 processes running the same 100s of these at the same time i end up with duplicates.
Even with isolation set to serializable
any ideas?
thnx

Panagiotis

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
Panagiotis Pediaditis, 14.09.2007 16:45:
Well the problem is I am working on rdf query engine for persistent RDF data. The data is stored/structured in a specific way in the database. When i perform updates in parallel, because there are cross table dependencies, I end up with inconsistencies, For example One transaction reads to see if there is a resource so as to add a property where it is a subject. Then an other transaction deletes the resource after the first has decided that the resource is there but before it added the property. Thus it would be helpful for me to avoid the difficult task of dependency based locking and just lock the whole database.
any ideas?

Hmm. To me this sounds like all those steps should in fact be _one_ transaction and not several transactions.

Thomas

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

      match