Search Postgresql Archives

How to recover database instance from a disaster

Hi,

I'm supporting Sun Grid Engine and it uses Postgres DB as a backend server for ARCo accounting and reporting module. One of my customers is asking how to recover data if Postgres DB server got crashed.

SGE constantly generates accounting data and records them into Postgres DB.

I think one way is to periodically to back up the database using pg_dump. But this is only a snapshot and will loose any information generated after it was taken.

I guess running Postgres DB as HA server is another solution although I am not sure if this is feasible.
Is there any other way?

Thanks,

- Chansup

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend