Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_standby observation

On Sep 13, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:

I think it would be useful if pg_standby (in version 8.3 contrib) could
be observed in some way.

Right now I use my own standby script, because every time it runs, it
touches a file in a known location. That allows me to monitor that file, and if it is too stale, I know something must have gone wrong (I have an
archive_timeout set), and I can send an SNMP trap.

Would it be useful to add something similar to pg_standby? Is there a
better way to detect a problem with a standby system, or a more
appropriate place?

The postgres logs do report this also, but it requires more care to
properly intercept the "restored log file ... from archive" messages.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis

If you include the -d option pg_standby will emit logging info on stderr so you can tack on something like 2>> logpath/standby.log. What it is lacking, however, is timestamps in the output when it successfully recovers a WAL file. Was there something more ou were looking for?

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888