Search Postgresql Archives

Re: archive_command with an environnement variable ?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Eric Pailleau wrote:

so I wonder if we can use environnement variable directly or by sourcing an env file, i.e :
archive_command = 'test ! -f $myvar/%f && cp %p $myvar/%f'
archive_command = 'csh ; source ~/.cshrc && test ! -f $myvar/%f && cp %p $myvar/%f'

As far as I know these won't work, because PostgreSQL doesn't substitute environment variables before making the system call. There might be some way to quote things and call a shell to make it happen, but I wasn't able to find any simple syntax I was happy with.

The whole idea of doing all the processing within the archive_command is a bad one anyway. You should write a script that gets passed %f and %p and let it source environment variables and do all the testing. It can return multiple error codes when something goes wrong and anything it writes to standard out shows up in the server log files, all of which makes debugging and troubleshooting much easier.

The approach of the simple example is just that--a simple example; you shouldn't consider it a model for how you should operate. Having the code in an external script gives you considerably more flexibility than trying to squeeze everything into the archive_command.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster