Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What's the difference between SET STORAGE MAIN and EXTENDED?

Tom Lane írta:
Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
At the end of the day, the behaviour is the same, isn't it?

No, there's a difference in terms of the priority for pushing this
column out to toast storage, versus pushing other columns of the row
out to toast.  Normally we push the widest (remaining) column out,
and repeat, until the tuple is small enough.  But MAIN columns stay
in, until there are no EXTENDED columns left.

			regards, tom lane

Thanks very much for clarifying.

I was thinking of a binary data that wouldn't fit
into the maximum inline tuple size. In this case
both MAIN and EXTENDED end up compressed
and out-of-line. I didn't consider having multiple
bytea or text columns filled with small amount of data.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Zoltán Böszörményi