Search Postgresql Archives

Re: log_statement and PREPARE

Tom Lane wrote:
brian <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

The docs (8.1) say the following about log_statement: -- snip -- ... mod logs all ddl statements, plus INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE,
TRUNCATE, and COPY FROM. PREPARE and EXPLAIN ANALYZE statements are
also logged if their contained command is of an appropriate type. -- snip --

Can someone please expain the meaning of, "if their contained
command is of an appropriate type"? I take it to mean that the
prepared statement will be logged if the it contains an INSERT (if
'mod' was chosen, of course).

I think you mis-parsed it. The sentence about PREPARE et al is an independent sentence applying to all the possible values of log_statement. That is, these commands will be logged if the
contained command is one that would have been logged, at the current
log level.

But that should mean that my prepared statement that contains an INSERT should be logged, yes? (8.1 issues notwithstanding)

I ask because i've set log_statement to 'mod' but am not seeing any
of my prepared statements in the log. INSERT, UPDATE, and friends i
do see.

Ah.  Probably you are confusing PREPARE-the-SQL-command, which is
what this is speaking of, with the protocol-level prepared-statement functionality.

I'd thought i wasn't confusing the two. For instance, the MDB2 source
reveals the following in prepare():

$query = 'PREPARE '.$statement_name.$types_string.' AS '.$query;
$statement =& $this->_doQuery($query, true, $connection);

So, i do seem to be dealing, in the end, with PREPARE-the-SQL-command here.

8.1 is pretty bad about logging extended-query-protocol
operations.  If you can update to 8.2 you'll be happier.

I have been trying to find the time to move up to 8.2 lately. Perhaps
this evening is as good a time as any to do that on the dev box.

Thanks for your time.
brian