Search Postgresql Archives

Connection pooling

Hello. I'm using Apache + PHP + Postgres for my project. I've tried the two poolers people
usually recommend here - pgbouncer and pgpool.

I have a problem with pgbouncer - under the load the query execution becomes ~10 times slower than it should be - basically to test it, I connect with psql (establishing connection becomes somewhat slow under load) and use \timing to measure execution time. The basic query of "select * from aaa where id = 1" runs 10 times slower than it should. If I connect with psql directly to postgres, the execution time is acceptable. Does anyone know what is the problem?

The pgpool (I tried 3.1, 3.4 and pgpool-II 1.2) works fine but has the following problem - after some time it just "hangs", and if I try to connect to it with psql it just hangs indefinitely. After restart it works fine again. I turned off persistent connections in php so it's not that. Does anybody
have the same problem?

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster