Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PickSplit method of 2 columns ... error

Split page algorithm was rewrited for 8.2 for multicolumn indexes and API for user-defined pickSplit function was extended to has better results with index creation. But GiST can interact with old functions - and it says about this. That isn't mean some real problem or error - index will be the same as in 8.1, not better.

Kevin Neufeld wrote:
Has anyone come across this error before?

LOG: PickSplit method of 2 columns of index 'asset_position_lines_asset_cubespacetime_idx' doesn't support secondary split

This is a multi-column GiST index on an integer and a cube (a data type from the postgres cube extension module).

I traced the error to the gistUserPicksplit <gistsplit_8c.html#ae6afe3060066017ec18f7d40d3f9de8> function in the gistsplit.c ... I surmise that this method is called whenever a page split is necessary.

So, I know when this error occurs, but I don't know why.

Thoughts anyone?
Cheers,
Kevin

--