Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Out of Memory - 8.2.4

On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 09:12:17AM -0700, Jeff Amiel wrote:
Tracking for last few days.
Does not appear to happen when little or no user
activity (like Saturday)  I don't know if that rules
out autovacuum or not (if no update threshholds are
reached, no vacuuming will take place anyway)

I don't think I've seen it so far this thread, but what are your memory
overcommit settings and allocated swap? At least on Linux you would
need a significant chunk of swap to be able to work with that much
memory, even with overcommit off. Check the rules for your system.

Another thing I havn't seen mentioned: you appear to be on a 32-bit
architecture and with 2GB shared_buffers you've lost half your address
space on that alone. Perhaps you simply don't have enough contiguous
address space to alloc 512MB.

The X4600 runs with 64-bit Dual Opterons.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888