Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Add Column BEFORE/AFTER another column

On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Matthew wrote:

Hey Bill,

It does not.

	Bummer.

To get your columns in a specific order, specify the column names in
that order in your SELECT statement. The SQL standard doesn't provide for any other way to guarantee column order, and neither does Postgres.

	Yes, I realize this and we do identify our columns during select
statements, but when you look at a table using a tool like phpPGAdmin or
pgAdmin3, the columns are displayed in some defined order.  It's much
easier to see your data/columns in some logical order (ie: all the cost
columns next to each other).

Using a view might give you what you're looking for:

  abacus=# select * from access_role;
   id | name
  ----+-------
    1 | user
    2 | admin
  (2 rows)

abacus=# create view bass_ackwards as select name, id from access_role;
  CREATE VIEW
  abacus=# select * from bass_ackwards;
   name  | id
   user  |  1