Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Apache + PHP + Postgres Interaction

On 24.08.2007 00:43, Hannes Dorbath wrote:
Bill Moran wrote:
I guess I just feel that "broken" is a bit of a harsh term.  If
your expectations are for full-blown connection management from
pconnect(), then you will be disappointed.  If you take it for
what it is: persistent connections, then those limitations would
be expected.

It's broken because persistent connections get randomly garbage
collected where they should not. So broken in the sense of bugged.
Expect connections to die for no reason, especially under load.

How did you verify that? It will spawn a new connection silently, if the old got dropped. Did you really verify your logs, that you don't get more new connections than Apache spawns workers? This might not be noticeable for you, if you are running Apache. In a FCGI environment where you have a fixed amount of workers, you notice new connections, as there should not be any.

--
Regards,
Hannes Dorbath