Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished

Dave Page wrote:
Couple of corrections Tony:

- You don't necessarily need to stop the postmaster to take a filesystem
backup -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP.
Obviously that assumes logs will be replayed during recovery.

- The native win32 port will run on FAT32, we just prevent the installer
from initdb'ing on such a partition. You can do it manually however, but
tablespaces won't work.

I'm a little puzzled about why you list multi-threaded architecture as a
feature - on Windows it's a little more efficient of course, but the
multi-process architecture is arguably far more robust, and certainly
used to be more portable (I'm not sure that's still the case for
platforms we actually care about).

Regards, Dave.

Thanks  Dave.
Will update ASAP.

I agree with you on the multi-threaded. I think I will add a note saying the the multi-threaded architecture is only advantageous on Windows. I have seen instances where the threaded version of Firebird completely craps out because one of the threads has issues.

Will also make a note that it can run on FAT32 with some limitations.

Later,

Tony