Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question on INDEX and SQL - stalling my database?

Rishi Daryanani wrote:
I'm having problems with a query that's just
"stalling" my database. If someone could help me out -
I posted a forum topic on http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/postgresql-new-index-pros-and-cons-467120.html

Did you get any advice from that forum? Was it helpful?

There's just this one integer field, which when
searched on, "stalls" my query and I don't get any
results. I tried adding an index to that integer, but
that didn't seem to help..

Don't get any results? Ever? If so, adding an index wouldn't help.

What you'll need to supply is:
1. The query
2. Details of the table(s) - number of rows, number of distinct values in columns being matched against
3. Output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE for your query
4. A couple of details of your server (RAM, number of disks, processors etc)

I'm sure someone here will be able to help then.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd