Search Postgresql Archives

Accessing pg_timezone_names system view

I was wondering if there is any reason that accessing the system view pg_timezone_names is extremely slow relative to other queries. The following query:

   SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names;

Executes in between 29ms and 32ms on my server. It takes about the same when I put a

   WHERE name = 'some/timezone'

clause in it. To put this into perspective, on the pages that execute this, it accounts for something like 3/4 of my DB execution time.

Here's a screenshot to show you what I'm talking about:

   http://www.mrnaz.com/dbetime.gif

As you can see, the execution of that single fetch dwarfs all other processing loads. I've run this a few times, and the timings are always roughly the same. Is there a way for me to speed this up? Would I be better off loading these into a static table and executing from there? It seems kinda purpose defeating to do that though. Perhaps this has been addressed in 8.3 ? I eagerly await.

Regards,
- Naz

              http://archives.postgresql.org/