Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 03:18:30PM +0930, Tyson Lloyd Thwaites wrote:
It seems like something that would be fairly easy to change... I don't know. I read someone talking about putting automatic checkpoints on every statement that goes through the jdbc driver to get around this issue. Perhaps this is the only way... unless pg could be put in a mode where it did this for you... like autocommit, but auto-checkpoint.

FWIW, this is exactly how the psql client handles "ON_ERROR continue".
There is resistance to building it into the protocol itself since the
autocommit fiasco. The backward compatability issues are daunting and
as pointed it can be handled adequately inside the driver
(jdbc/odbc/etc).

(That's not to say it couldn't be made easier for the clients also. For
example as part of the query request have a flag that says: start
savepoint prior to execution.)

Have a nice day,
I am not familiar with the autocommit fiasco, but I can use my imagination... :)

You mention it can be built into the driver - is this a 'could be' or 'has been', ie is this a mainstream practice, or would such a thing be considered risky? I would think it would be wonderful to allow users to choose to override this behaviour - and suffer the consequences if necessary! It's like playing with the fsync setting... turn it off at your own risk.

--
Tyson Lloyd Thwaites
Lead Software Developer

M: 0404 456 858