Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [RESEND] Transaction auto-abort causes grief with Spring Framework

The auditing is an interesting question, to which I do not have an
answer.  Seems impossible to do in a transaction, by definition (ie
not product specific).  Thoughts?

We do this with MSSQL. I have never given it a second thought until now. If anything goes wrong we send an audit event, usually in a catch block, all in the same transaction. If we have caught the exception, Spring will commit, and the 'good' statements will stick.

The best example of this is if we can't delete a record, we will 'mark' it instead, for example:

try {
 <delete record>
} catch (DataIntegrityViolationException e) {
 <mark record deleted/invisible>
}

These deleted records are then cleaned up at a later stage. This works fine for MSSQL, I must admit we are not actively maintaining our Oracle support.

              http://archives.postgresql.org/