Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Select time jump after adding filter; please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Andrew Edson wrote:
Yes.  The only difference between the two selects was that the index
on the table in question was dropped.  As far as I know, that was the
only partial index on there, although since it's a test db, I could
probably go in and experiment on a few more if needed.

This problem may have already been solved; I'm using an older version
of Postgres; 8.1.3.  My boss has requested that it not be upgraded
just yet, however, so I'm stuck with it for the moment.

You should probably upgrade to 8.1.9 - there are a couple of bugfixes that mention bitmap scans, although nothing that describes your problem in-depth.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/release.html#RELEASE-8-1-9

You don't need to dump/restore the database, it's just a matter of upgrading the binaries within the 8.1 series. You should plan on doing point-release updates fairly frequently.

I'd put the partial index back, see if you can reproduce it and if so tell your boss you should upgrade. If you can't talk him around, give him the URL for the release notes along with the three bugs you think are most dangerous. If that doesn't work, I'm sure we can get someone from the core developers to tell you the same thing I just have, and we can forward that to your boss :-)

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd