Search Postgresql Archives

Dealing with tsvector in fuctions for data split

I am trying to create a function to handle inserts in a database with partitions in a particular table.

The function looks like:
AS $$
DECLARE
   v_sql TEXT;
BEGIN
v_sql := 'INSERT INTO messagecatalog_'|| to_char(NEW.timestampfield,'YYYY')||
   '(field1, field2) values ('
 ||New.field1||','||New.field2||')
')';
   EXECUTE v_sql;
   RETURN NULL;
END
$$;

The problem I am running into is that one of the fields is a tsvector and when I try to concatenate it wit the rest of the string it gives an error. The only thing I can think of so far is to start a transaction, insert without the tsvector and then do an update to get the tsvector in.

Anyone else had to deal with tsvectors in a fuction?

I am copying some existing data so all the rows already have the tsvector.

If nothing else works I may just not deal with the tsvector in the function and see if I just re-create the tsvector for each record as I am insert the data.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq