Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump of only the structure from a client such as ruby

On Aug 5, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Perry Smith <pedz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I find it odd that you are resistant to the idea.  To me, the
advantages are clear if it can be done without a tremendous amount of
work.

Well, it can't.  pg_dump is an enormously complicated and frequently
changed bit of code, and so you really really don't want to be copying
it into other clients.

<snip>

Thanks for the reply.

PS: *please* see if you can get them to take out the usage of pg_dump's
-i switch.  Having code invoke that blindly borders on criminal
negligence.

I'll open a bug report and submit a patch...  Thats the most I can do.

Perry Smith ( pedz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems

      match