Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Linux distro

At 4:52 PM +0200 8/1/07, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
On Wednesday 1. August 2007 16:15, Madison Kelly wrote:

/Personally/, I love Debian on servers.

It's not quite as 'hardcore' as Gentoo (a great distro, but not one to
start with!). It's the foundation of many of the popular distros
(Ubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, etc) and the Debian crew is very careful
 about what they put into the 'stable' repositories.

I agree totally. Debian in a server configuration is quite easy to get
started with, and is rock solid. My first Linux "test server" (my old
Pentium 133 MHz desktop) way back in 2002 ran Debian Woody. I kept it
running until it died from old age a couple of years ago. Later I fell
in love with Gentoo. But if I'd have to run a server with maximum
stability and uptime, I think that I'd still prefer Debian.

As an alternative viewpoint, I've been running the latest postgres on Mac OS X Server 10.4, and it's been great for me. It was my first time using a server, and my first serious use of postgres (although I have had a lot of previous unix experience.) All the power of unix, all the ease of the Macintosh (and it's server installation gives you lots of great things for free and already installed - granted most is publicly available, but it's already installed and ready for use that's the big advantage). Not only that, but I can run windoze in Parallels (or even Boot Camp if I desired).

-Owen

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster