Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Auto Starting +/or Shutdown on OS X

On Jul 31, 2007, at 14:27 , Ralph Smith wrote:

=== INITIAL POST ====================
I'm using scripts in /Library/StartupItems/PostgreSQL

PostgreSQL starts manually just fine via
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l /usr/local/ pgsql/logfile start

What user are you starting the server as? Is this the same user you have specified in the StartupItem/launchd plist?

If I execute the start command above just after a System start I get
  pg_ctl: another server may be running; trying to start server anyway
  server starting
and then it starts and runs fine.

I'm speculating that the StartupItem is trying to start the server but failing.

I'm looking at getting that debugging to log where I can find it.
Can someone help me config extended logging?
log_destination, log_directory, log_filename

I believe you should be able to set these at startup, though I haven't tried.

               <string>/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster</string>
               <string>-D</string>
               <string>/usr/local/pgsql/data</string>
               <string>-l</string>
               <string>/usr/local/pgsql/logfile</string>
               <string>-c</string>
               <string>redirect_stderr=YES</string>
               <string>-c</string>
               <string>log_min_message=DEBUG5</string>
               <string>-c</string>
               <string>log_error_verbosity=VERBOSE</string>

Did you also change the user and group to what's appropriate for your setup?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend