To: "pgsql-general General" <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Import to excel to postgres based website?

On Jul 22, 2007, at 11:26 PM, novnov wrote:

The answer may or many not be very postgres specific but...what are  some
possible routes that I could take to allows users to upload data from excel into a postgres via a website? I've never tried anything like this before.
Are there standard modules that might help with this or will I have to
create from scratch? I am obviously hoping to find something I can just plug in. Users would be expected to have the xls ordered properly for the routine
to work.

It's something that would be pretty easy, given the right web platform, quite hard using the wrong one. Using perl, say, it would be less than a hundred lines of code. (Take uploaded file, crack xls format to extract data using one of the several CPAN excel reader modules, use DBI to insert it into the database).

Uploading CSV (comma separated values) is likely to be easier in languages that don't happen to have support for xls, but CSV can only represent a small
subset of xls.

If the webserver itself it running on windows then there's all sorts of games you can play by remote controlling an instance of Excel, but doing that tends to
be pretty fragile.

Cheers,
  Steve

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq