Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Unexpected crash

Mikko Partio wrote:
Hello all,

I installed the latest version from rpms and everythings ok, except when I
connect to a db with psql and press shift+return the backend crashes with
"Segmentation fault"! I guess the problem is with my installation but I
don't know how to debug. It's not a very disconcerning thing per se, but I
wonder what other surprises might be hiding behind the scenes.

Hmm. Very odd.

test2=> select version();
                                                  version
PostgreSQL 8.2.4 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
3.2.320030502 (Red Hat Linux
3.2.3-58)
(1 row)

OK. This is RH Enterprise Server, then?

relevant log line:

Jul 19 08:33:36 mihin postgres[24584]: [2-1] LOG:  unexpected EOF on client
connection

That's not a backend crash, that's just saying the client disconnected unexpectedly. That implies a client (psql) crash. Is there a server log-line saying you have a sig-11 crash?

What's puzzling me is why shift+return is different from just plain return (which presumably works). I'd suspect readline or similar. Try something like "rpm -q --requires postgresql-client" (you'll need to check the details, haven't used rpm much recently) to see what packages psql is depending on. Then just check they look OK for your installation.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd