Search Postgresql Archives

deferred check constraints

Right now, it would be nice if I could get a check constraint to be deferred. Its a long story. I want a circular constraint. The way things are set up right now, it would be easy if I could defer my check constraint. I'm doing a polymorphic relation. One direction is a simple reference a fixed table. The other direction is a reference to table that changes based upon the type of the item. I can do this check in a function which implies it is a check constraint.

I may figure out how to flip everything around so that the simple reference constraint could be deferred. That is one option

The other option is to add deferred check constraints to PostgreSQL. I've never looked at the PostgreSQL code but I like parsers, etc. How hard would it be to add this to PostgreSQL and is it something of general interest or am I somewhat lost in the woods?

Thank you,
Perry