Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Moved postgres, now won't start

Tom Lane wrote:
I think that's the first actual file access that happens during the
connect sequence (everything before that is done with in-memory caches
in the postmaster).  So what I'm wondering is whether you *really* shut
down and restarted the postmaster, or whether you are trying to connect
to the same old postmaster process that has now had all its files
deleted out from under it.

			regards, tom lane

Thank you for your reply!

Before the move;

# /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 status
Version Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file 8.1 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/8.1/main /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.1-main.log
# /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 stop
Stopping PostgreSQL 8.1 database server: main.
nicole:/etc/postgresql/8.1/main# /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 status
Version Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file 8.1 main 5432 down postgres /var/lib/postgresql/8.1/main /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-8.1-main.log

I hope that doesn't get too mangled. Unless I am misunderstanding "stop", then I think it was stopped. I made the move/symlinks mentioned in my first post, then restarted.

For double certainty, I switched to the slave node after shutting down postgres on the master node and doubled checked that it was still 'down' as well.

Madison