Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Mac OS X

> I tried to install postgres onto my macbook via 'fink' and don't like
> it all that much.
> I decided to install from source, it's a fallback to my slackware days.
>
> But fink already created a user postgres and I can't seem to find
> anything to change it's configuration settings for shell, home
> director...

Im not sure how fink adds the user, but try NetInfo Manager (In
Applications/Utlilities). If the user is not there, then it might be in
/etc/passwd as for other Unix OS's

> Also, does anyone know of a more current installation write-up for
> Mac other than what Apple provides?  It's written around 7.4 and I'm
> not sure it's going to be optimal.

PostgreSQL has been building out of the box on OSX since at least the later
7.4.x series, but certainly all of the 8.x series. So you should just follow
the installation instructions for Unix in the INSTALL file that comes with
the source.

If you have any problems then post the errors back to the list and someone
should be able to help...

Cheers

Adam