Search Postgresql Archives

TOAST, large objects and ACIDity

Hi all,

I want to use postgres to store data and large files, typically audio files from 100ko to 20Mo. For those files, I just need to store et retrieve them, in an ACID way. (I don't need search, or substring, or others functionnalities) I saw postgres offers at least 2 method : bytea column with TOAST, or large objects API.

I wonder what are the differences of the 2 methods.
* I found that large objects need a vacuum after delete to really release place. That may be handled by a trigger or automatic vaccum, is it right ? * Large objects are used via a special API available in libpq C client library. * I really care keeping my transaction fully ACID. Documentation on large objects doesn't explicitly say if lo_import an lo_export (and other primitives) are fully ACID. Some ideas ?
* I going to bench insertion and read with this 2 methods.

other advices are wellcome, particularly about integration of TOAST or large objects with pgclusters.

thanks

Benoit